Victor Tylston Hodgson was born in 1875 at Welcombe Harpenden, Herts., the son of Henry Tylston, a director and for a time Vice Chairman of the Midland Railway.
He was educated at Harrow and in 1894 entered the office of Charles Trubshaw of Derby, the architect for the Midland Railway's hotels. He transferred to Alfred Waterhouse and Son to serve his apprenticeship from 1895-98, remaining as assistant 1898-1900, during which period he attended the Architectural Association. Thereafter he was assistant in the more 'arts-and-crafts' office of Dawber and Whitwell, 1900-1901, before commencing practice in London in 1902 in partnership with Percy Benjamin French Freeman and Francis Charles Eden. Freeman subsequently withdrew to form a partnership with Gilbert Francis Molyneux Ogilvy as Freeman and Ogilvy.
Victor Hodgson devoted many years to a detailed study of the history and archaeology of the Western Highlands, and in 1922 founded the West Highland Museum at Fort William of which he was secretary. It collected croft house furniture and other artefacts. In 1926-28 he drew plans for a remarkable blue granite heather-thatched house at Sanna, Ardnamurchan, for Miss M E M Donaldson, photographer of the West Highlands, but died soon after its completion at Cuilcheanna, Onich on 3 January 1929.
Descendants of Victor Hodgson are still involved with the Museum today.